Wednesday, May 14, 2008

How To Help Young Kids Make Money (the Honest Way!)

I'm just kidding about the honest way. I just have sad thoughts when I think of some ways a few of the confused kids in our town have tried to make money.

We (Career Kids) just sent out a newsletter this morning that included a link to a handout for teachers and counselors to distribute to their families. The handout is to help figure out how middle school-aged children can earn some extra money this summer. You can read the handout here.

As a parent of a 7th grader, I am in the thick of it. She wants to make money, but she has limited choices at her age. The obvious, babysitting, is OK for my daughter, but I know she would like to do more. When her big brother was in middle school, he used to come up with so many schemes to make money, it gave me premature gray hair. I never knew what I was going to come home to after work. We're talking saws, ovens, bicycles and more. Use your imagination.

The handout for the counselors included brainstorming ideas, as well as a list of "jobs" for young students. After all, some kids have great talents that just won't be included on a "list". But, here is what we did include:

Babysitting
Pet sitting
Yard workers
Bicycle repair
Camp counselor
Referee and umpires
Computer tutoring or training (this can be a good resource if you live near a retirement community)
Garage sales
House sitting (pick up mail, packages, feed animals, water plants while neighbors are away)
Car washing/detailing
DVD rental (if the family has a large collection)
Recycle pickup (they make their money when they take the recycling to the service center)
Library pick up and return

Another idea, particularly during the holidays is giftwrapper, but recommended only for the truly coordinated!

Any other ideas? I could use them myself!

No comments: